[Python-Dev] Compile Python on Windows (OpenSSL)

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Tue Jan 13 23:46:55 CET 2015

On 13.01.2015 23:42, Brian Curtin wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 13, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Victor Stinner
> <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Technically, Python 3.5 requires Visual Studio 2015
>>
>> For me, it's *very* difficult to find how to install Visual Studio.
>> There are many different websites and web pages which mention Visual
>> Studio with a lot of versions and "flavors" (Express, Community,
>> Ultimate, etc.).
>>
>> Visual Studio 2015 was not released yet :-/
>>
>> My VM has only a disk of 40 GB. Only 12 GB are free. I already have VS
>> 2008 Express and VS 2010 Express installed. I understood that
>> "Ultimate" includes a *lot* of things, not only a C compiler.
>>
>> I found a "free" Visual Studio which is in fact Visual Studio 2013
>> Community and I read that it's not free.
>>
>> I sent an email to Brian Curtin to ask to renew my MSDN account. He
>> didn't reply yet.
>
> I saw that and will send it on, but it's still going to take some time
> to process - usually a week or so.
>
> In the meantime, the first result searching for Visual Studio 2015
> came up with http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/downloads/visual-studio-2015-downloads-vs.aspx,
> which seems to give you VS2015. I haven't tried to run it since I'm
> not on Windows at the moment, but it looks correct.

Just a note of caution: for older preview releases of VS the
only way to get back to a clean system was to reinstall
Windows.

I don't know whether this will be different with VS 2015,
but if you care for your VM, you should probably create
a snapshot before installing VS 2015 preview to make it
easy to revert back, e.g. to install the final VS 2015
version.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Jan 13 2015)
2015-01-09: Released eGenix pyOpenSSL 0.13.7 ...  http://egenix.com/go68
2015-01-20: Python Meeting Duesseldorf ...        http://egenix.com/go69

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/