[Python-Dev] Emit SyntaxWarning on unrecognized backslash escapes?

Stephen J. Turnbull stephen at xemacs.org
Wed Feb 25 06:16:15 CET 2015

Nick Coghlan writes:

 > The linter developers don't have a decision making process that lets them
 > pursue things like this on their own.

I'm not suggesting that the linter developers do any such thing.  I'm
suggesting that users (specifically Chris) customize their preferred
linters (most permit that).

What bothers me is that the hardest to understand failures cannot
possibly be helped, because they are legal, meaningful syntax that
conflicts with syntax common in external contexts.  Replacing
mnemonics like '\t' with '\x09' (or even '\u0009' in Python 3) in
debugging output (including error messages) seems like a much better
idea to me.