[Python-Dev] easy_install ?

Brett Cannon brett at python.org
Tue Feb 24 17:30:21 CET 2015

On Tue Feb 24 2015 at 10:54:14 AM Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:

> Hello all,
> I wonder what the status of easy_install is.  I keep finding people
> who needed to install something 'path.py' is the latest, who needed to
> use pip, and couldn't get easy_install to work.  Should we tell people
> that easy_install is deprecated, or ask them  to file bugs when
> they could not get it to work, or ...

Tell people to use pip. Having ensurepip in Python 2.7 and 3.4 makes it as
official as anything will be as the recommended tool to install projects.
Otherwise easy_install has nothing to do directly with python-dev so I
don't think we can comment on a group as to what people should do in terms
of bugs, etc.