[Python-Dev] Request for Pronouncement: PEP 441 - Improving Python ZIP Application Support

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Mon Feb 23 19:49:12 CET 2015

On 23 February 2015 at 18:40, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> Couldn't you just keep it in memory as bytes and then write directly over
> the file? I realize that's a bit wasteful memory-wise but it is possible.
> The docs could mention the memory cost is something to watch out for when
> doing an in-place replacement. Heck the code could even make it an
> io.BytesIO instance so the rest of the code doesn't have to care about this
> special case.

I did consider this option, and I still quite like it. In fact,
originally I wrote the API to *only* be in-place, until I realised
that wouldn't work for things bigger than memory (but who has a Python
app that's bigger than RAM?)

I'm happy to modify the API along these lines (details to be thrashed
out) if people think it's worthwhile.
Paul