[Python-Dev] Emit SyntaxWarning on unrecognized backslash escapes?

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Feb 23 16:44:10 CET 2015

I think that's a bit too strong. This has been unquestionably valid,
correct Python -- it was an intentional feature from the start. It may not
have turned out great, but I think that before warning loudly about every
instance of this we should have a silent deprecation (which you can turn
into a visible warning with a command-line flag or a warnings filter). And
we should have agreement that we're eventually going to make it a syntax
error.

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)