[Python-Dev] PEP 471 (scandir): Poll to choose the implementation (full C or C+Python)

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 10:04:57 CET 2015

On 14 Feb 2015 03:43, "Nathaniel Smith" <njs at pobox.com> wrote:

> On 13 Feb 2015 02:09, "Victor Stinner" <victor.stinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > A alternative is to add a new _scandir.c module to host the new C
> > code, and share some code with posixmodule.c: remove "static" keyword
> > from required C functions (functions to convert Windows attributes to
> > a os.stat_result object).
>
> Hopefully not too annoying question from an outsider: has cpython's build
system added the necessary bits to do this on a safe, portable,
non-symbol-namespace polluting way? E.g. using -fvisibility=hidden on Linux?

We just add a "_Py" prefix on the things that we're making available to the
linker solely for own use and don't provide any backwards compatibility
guarantees for other people that decide to use them directly despite the
leading underscore and lack of documentation.

Cheers,
Nick.