[Python-Dev] PEP 370 - per-user scripts directory on Windows

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Tue Feb 10 17:15:18 CET 2015

On 10 February 2015 at 12:38, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> tl;dr - Having a shared per-user scripts directory on Windows
> (%APPDATA%/Python/Scripts) causes a number of potential issues when
> users install the same package in multiple Python versions. I'd like
> to suggest that this be changed to a versioned directory
> (%APPDATA%/PythonXY/Scripts) to match all other Python directories on
> Windows.

Making the full detail explicit (based on a comment made on the pip
issue), the default PATH should match the behaviour of sys.path (so
that "pip" and "python -m pip" always execute the same thing).

So we have C:\PythonXY before %APPDATA%\PythonXY\Scripts before
C:\PythonXY\Scripts (matching stdlib before user site-packages before
system site-packages). And user site-packages is versioned because
everything else is.

The PATH setting is purely an installer change, of course - only
versioning the user scripts directory affects the core.
Paul