[Python-Dev] Python Language Reference has no mention of list comÃprehensions

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Dec 3 12:20:17 EST 2015

I borrowed 'display' from the formal definition of ABC. It's still used in
the quick reference: http://homepages.cwi.nl/~steven/abc/qr.html#EXPRESSIONS
. I hadn't heard it before and didn't think to research its heritage. I
like it for list/set/dict displays since it's rather a stretch to call
those literals (they can contain expressions after all). I don't think of a
comprehension as a display though (even though it's syntactically related).

On Thu, Dec 3, 2015 at 9:04 AM, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 December 2015 at 14:26, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
> > Am I missing something important about the 'display' language?
>
> It's a term that's used in the lisp and/or functional programming
> communities, I believe. And I think I recollect that something similar
> is used in (mathematical) set theory So it's not completely an
> invented term.
>
> But that's not to say it's particularly obvious in this context...
> Paul

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)