[Python-Dev] Python Language Reference has no mention of list comÃprehensions

Random832 random832 at fastmail.com
Thu Dec 3 10:09:12 EST 2015

On 2015-12-03, Laura Creighton <lac at openend.se> wrote:
> Who came up with the word 'display' and what does it have going for
> it that I have missed?  Right now I think its chief virtue is that
> it is a meaningless noun.  (But not meaningless enough, as I
> associate displays with output, not construction).

In a recent discussion it seemed like people mainly use it
because they don't like using "literal" for things other than
single token constants.  In most other languages' contexts the
equivalent thing would be called a literal.

> I think that
>
>     6.2.4 Constructing lists, sets and dictionaries
>
> would be a much more useful title, and
>
>     6.2.4 Constructing lists, sets and dictionaries -- explicitly or through the use of comprehensions

I don't like the idea of calling it "explicit construction".
Explicit construction to me means the actual use of a call to the
constructor function.