[Python-Dev] provisional status for asyncio

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Aug 27 23:42:54 CEST 2015

Please use "feature release" (e.g. 3.5 -> 3.6) and "bugfix release" (e.g.
3.5.0 -> 3.5.1). The major/minor terminology is confusing, since something
like 2 -> 3 isn't just "major", it is "earthshattering". :-)

On Thu, Aug 27, 2015 at 2:39 PM, Yury Selivanov <yselivanov.ml at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On 2015-08-27 5:31 PM, Yury Selivanov wrote:
>
>> On 2015-08-27 5:24 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:
>>

>>>     My proposal is to amend PEP 411 with two levels of provisional
>>>     packages:
>>>
>>>     Level 1: Backwards incompatible changes might be introduced in point
>>>     releases.
>>>
>>>     Level 2: Only backwards compatible changes can be introduced in
>>>     new point
>>>     releases.
>>>

>>> How is this any different from the normal compatibility promise we have
>>> for any non-provisional code in the stdlib?
>>>
>>> And by point release I assume you mean a new minor release, e.g. 3.5 ->
>>> 3.6.
>>>

>> Right, my mistake, I indeed meant minor releases.
>>
>> The difference is that right now we don't introduce new features
>> (regardless of backwards compatibility promises) for any non-provisional
>> code in minor releases, we can only do bug fixes.
>>
>> My proposal is to enable asyncio receiving new strictly backwards
>> compatible APIs/features (and bug fixes too, of course) in minor releases
>> (3.5.x).
>>

> Turns out I was lost in terminology :)
>
> Considering that Python versioning is defined as major.minor.micro, I'll
> rephrase the proposal:
>
> Level 1: Backwards incompatible changes might be introduced in new Python
> releases (including micro releases)
>
> Level 2: Only backwards compatible changes (new APIs including) can be
> introduced in micro releases.
>
> Sorry for the confusion.
>

> Yury

--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)