[Python-Dev] provisional status for asyncio

Yury Selivanov yselivanov.ml at gmail.com
Thu Aug 27 23:31:49 CEST 2015

On 2015-08-27 5:24 PM, Brett Cannon wrote:

>     My proposal is to amend PEP 411 with two levels of provisional
>     packages:
>
>     Level 1: Backwards incompatible changes might be introduced in point
>     releases.
>
>     Level 2: Only backwards compatible changes can be introduced in
>     new point
>     releases.
>

> How is this any different from the normal compatibility promise we
> have for any non-provisional code in the stdlib?
>
> And by point release I assume you mean a new minor release, e.g. 3.5
> -> 3.6.

Right, my mistake, I indeed meant minor releases.

The difference is that right now we don't introduce new features
(regardless of backwards compatibility promises) for any non-provisional
code in minor releases, we can only do bug fixes.

My proposal is to enable asyncio receiving new strictly backwards
compatible APIs/features (and bug fixes too, of course) in minor
releases (3.5.x).

Yury