[Python-Dev] Differences between Python's OpenSSL in SVN and OpenSSL's in GitHub

Zachary Ware zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com
Fri Aug 14 19:26:55 CEST 2015

On Fri, Aug 14, 2015 at 10:56 AM, Guzman-ballen, Andres
<andres.guzman-ballen at intel.com> wrote:
> Hello Python Developers!
>
> Why is it that the OpenSSL v1.0.2d that is found on Python’s SVN repo is
> quite different from what OpenSSL has on their GitHub repository for OpenSSL
> v1.0.2d?

The reason for the difference is to avoid requiring Perl to be
installed to be able to build Python.  The svn.python.org version of
openssl-1.0.2d at revision 89058should match 1.0.2d from Github (if it
doesn't that's a bug in OpenSSL's packaging or my checking it into
SVN).  Revision 89059 checks in all of the changes, all of which are
made by running 'PCbuild\prepare_ssl.py' on the vanilla sources, and
you should be able to produce the same set of changes by running
'PCbuild\prepare_ssl.py' over the sources checked out from Github.
Note that to run that script successfully, you'll need to have the
Visual Studio environment set up ('PCbuild\env.bat' will do it for
you), Perl and NASM on your PATH, and run the script with Python 3.4
or later.

Hope this answers your question,
--
Zach