[Python-Dev] PEP-498: Literal String Formatting

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Sun Aug 9 04:37:38 CEST 2015

On Aug 08 2015, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org> wrote:
> On Aug 08 2015, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 8 August 2015 at 11:39, Eric V. Smith <eric at trueblade.com> wrote:
>>> Following a long discussion on python-ideas, I've posted my draft of
>>> PEP-498. It describes the "f-string" approach that was the subject of
>>> the "Briefer string format" thread. I'm open to a better title than
>>> "Literal String Formatting".
>>
>> Thanks you for your work on this - it's a very cool concept!
>>
>> I've also now written and posted an initial draft of PEP 500,
> [...]
>
> I think what that PEP really needs is a concise summary of the
> *differences* to PEP 498.

I should probably elaborate on that.

After reading both PEPs, it seems to me that the only difference is that
you want to use a different prefix (i instead of f), use ${} instead of
{}, and call a builtin function to perform the interpolation (instead of
always using format). But is that really it? The PEP appears rather
long, so I'm not sure if I'm missing other differences in the parts that
seemed identical to PEP 498 to me.

Best,
-Nikolaus