[Python-Dev] PEP 492: No new syntax is required

Mark Shannon mark at hotpy.org
Sun Apr 26 22:21:19 CEST 2015

Hi,

I was looking at PEP 492 and it seems to me that no new syntax is required.

Looking at the code, it does four things; all of which, or a functional
equivalent, could be done with no new syntax.
1. Make a normal function into a generator or coroutine. This can be
done with a decorator.
2. Support a parallel set of special methods starting with 'a' or
'async'. Why not just use the current set of special methods?
3. "await". "await" is an operator that takes one argument and produces
a single result, without altering flow control and can thus be replaced
by an function.
4. Asynchronous with statement. The PEP lists the equivalent as "with
(yield from xxx)" which doesn't seem so bad.

Please don't add unnecessary new syntax.

Cheers,
Mark.

P.S. I'm not objecting to any of the other new features proposed, just
the new syntax.