[Python-Dev] async/await in Python; v2

Andrew Svetlov andrew.svetlov at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 14:24:28 CEST 2015

On Thu, Apr 23, 2015 at 3:10 PM, Greg Ewing <greg.ewing at canterbury.ac.nz> wrote:
> Andrew Svetlov wrote:
>>
>> From my understanding to use cofunctions I must wrap it with costart call:
>>
>> yield from gather(costart(coro1, a1, a2), costart(coro2), fut3)
>>
>> There are other places in asyncio API those accept coroutines or
>> futures as parameters, not only Task() and async().
>

> In a PEP 3152 aware version of asyncio, they would all
> know about cofunctions and what to do with them.

But we already have asyncio and code based on asyncio coroutines.
To make it work I should always use costart() in places where asyncio
requires coroutine.

Maybe your proposal is better than current asyncio practice.
But now asyncio is built on top of two-step process, as you have
mentioned: building coroutine and waiting for it's result.

That's why I prefer `await` as replace for well-known `yield from`.

> --
> Greg

Thanks,
Andrew Svetlov