[Python-Dev] [python-committers] [RELEASED] Python 3.5.0a4 is now available

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Wed Apr 22 01:27:47 CEST 2015

> On Apr 21, 2015, at 7:18 PM, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
>
> Donald Stufft wrote:
>> Is this version statically linked by any chance?
>
> No, there's no change to the compilation process, so you can get exactly the same result by using the regular installer and copying the files around.
>
> Not sure if this is what you're referring to, but on Windows DLLs are always loaded from alongside the executable before searching in other locations. I learned at PyCon that some platforms embed full paths for .so's (I'd always just assumed that there was a similar resolution process), but this is not the case here. Dropping all the DLLs and PYDs in the same location is sufficient to make sure you always load the right files, unless sys.path has been filled in with incorrect registry values (the bug I referenced).
>
> Cheers,
> Steve

My use case is using PyInstaller to attempt to create a single file executable. Doing it on Windows was giving a strange error message about mscrvt or something so I thought maybe I needed to statically compile Python. I was hoping maybe this thing would have done that for me so I didn’t need to figure out how.

---
Donald Stufft