[Python-Dev] Type hints -- a mediocre programmer's reaction

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Tue Apr 21 19:10:06 CEST 2015

On Tue, Apr 21, 2015 at 9:17 AM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com>
wrote:

> Please be respectful rather than inflammatory.  If you read what I
> wrote, I did not say that I was going to stop contributing, I
> specifically talked about that gut reaction being both emotional and
> illogical.  That doesn't make the reaction any less real, and the fact
> that such reactions exist is a data point you should consider in
> conducting your PR campaign for this issue.  (I don't mean that last as
> a negative:  this issue *requires* an honest PR campaign.)

Well, my own reactions at this point in the flame war are also quite
emotional. :-(

I have done my best in being honest in my PR campaign. But I feel like the
opposition (not you, but definitely some others -- have you seen Twitter?)
are spreading FUD based on an irrational conviction that this will destroy
Python. It will not. It may not prove the solution to all Python's problems
-- there's always 3.6. (Oh wait, Python 2.7 is perfect. I've heard that
before -- Paul Everitt famously said the same of Python 1.5.2. Aren't you
glad I didn't take him literally? :-P )

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)