[Python-Dev] Type hints -- a mediocre programmer's reaction

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Mon Apr 20 22:31:24 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 20, 2015 at 1:17 PM, Robert Collins <robertc at robertcollins.net>
wrote:

> On 21 April 2015 at 08:10, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > While it helps, this sort of best-practice is still unsettled (and
> apparently not obvious).  In the short term it would make more sense to
> recommend using stub files for all the reason Harry enumerated.  Once the
> best practices are nailed down through experience with stub files, then we
> can make recommendations regarding inline type hints.
> >
> > -eric
>
> Forgive my ignorance, but can stub files can't annotate variables
> within functions? E.g. AIUI if there is a stub file, it is used in the
> static analysis instead of the actual source. Likely I've got it
> modelled wrong in my head :)
>
> -Rob

Correct, stub files are only used to type-check *users* of a module. If you
want a module itself to be type-checked you have to use inline type hints.
(Though it has been suggested to combine the hints from the stub with the
implementation and use this to type-check the implementation, and some tool
chains may actually implement this.)

--
--Guido van Rossum (python.org/~guido)