[Python-Dev] unittest test discovery and namespace packages

Alex Shkop a.v.shkop at gmail.com
Fri Apr 17 09:40:14 CEST 2015

Hello!

There's an issue considering test discovery in unittest module. Basically
it is about unittest module that doesn't find tests in namespace packages.
For more info see issue http://bugs.python.org/issue23882.

I'm willing to make a patch for this bug. But I need help to formulate how
test discovery should work.

Documentation states that all importable modules that match pattern will be
loaded. This means that test modules inside namespace packages should be
loaded too. But enabling this would change things drastically. For example
now, running

python -m unittest

inside cpython source root does nothing. If we will enable test discovery
inside namespace packages then this command will start running the whole
python test suite in Lib/test/.

So I'm looking for someone's help to clarify how test discovery should work.

Thanks,
Alex
--
Issue in bugtracker - http://bugs.python.org/issue23882