[Python-Dev] Aware datetime from naive local time Was: Status on PEP-431 Timezones

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Apr 13 23:12:02 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 12:14 PM, Alexander Belopolsky <
alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> utc_time = f( location, utc_time )
>>
>> These are two different problems, and one is much harder than the other!
>> (though both are ugly!)
>>

> You probably meant "utc_time = f( location, wall_time)" in the last
> equation,

oops, yes.

> but that would still be wrong.
>

> A somewhat more correct equation would be
>
> utc_time = f^(-1)( location, wall_time)

In this case I meant "f" as "a function of", so the two fs were not
intended to be the same. Yes, one is the inverse of another, and in this
case the inverse is not definable (at least not uniquely).

I have no doubt you understand all this (better than I do), I'm just
suggesting that in the discussion we find a way to be as clear as possible
as to which function is being discussed when.

But anyway -- thanks all for hashing this out -- getting something
reasonable into datetime will be very nice.

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov