[Python-Dev] Aware datetime from naive local time Was: Status on PEP-431 Timezones

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Apr 13 20:05:07 CEST 2015

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 10:45 AM, Alexander Belopolsky <
alexander.belopolsky at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am I wrong, or is this a semantic question as to what "wall" time means?
>>

> You are right about what wall() means, but I should have been more
> explicit about knowns and unknowns in the wall(loc, t) = lt equation.
>
> In that equation I considered loc (the geographical place) and lt (the
> time on the clock tower) to be known and t (the universal (UTC) time) to be
> unknown.  A solution to the equation is the value of the unknown (t) given
> the values of the knowns (loc and lt).
>
> The rest of your exposition is correct including "a given UTC time maps to
> one and only one 'wall time' in a given timezone."  However, different UTC
> times may map to the same wall time and some expressible wall times are not
> results of a map of any UTC time.

got it. I suggest you perhaps word it something like:

wall_time = f( location, utc_time)

and

utc_time = f( location, utc_time )

These are two different problems, and one is much harder than the other!
(though both are ugly!)

you can, of course shoreten the names to "wall" and "utc" and "loc" if you
like, but I kind of like long, readable names..

-Chris

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov