[Python-Dev] 3.5 release schedule PEP

Paul Moore p.f.moore at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 19:44:16 CEST 2014

On 25 September 2014 18:13, Steve Dower <Steve.Dower at microsoft.com> wrote:
> Again, this isn't trivial to get right. The design for the elevation model seems to have focused mainly on GUI rather than console, probably assuming that people who need to elevate from the console will elevate the shell itself (this is a guess - I have no insight into how the Windows team designed this), so there are limitations we have to work within.

Yeah, I think my view is that we don't really want to have to support
code that complex, so let's keep it simple. To use pip to install into
a protected location, pip must be run from an elevated shell. Given
that doing so is inconvenient (specifically, even more inconvenient
than sudo on Unix) let's ensure that for the normal case the user
doesn't need to do that.

Paul