[Python-Dev] 3.5 release schedule PEP

Steve Dower Steve.Dower at microsoft.com
Wed Sep 24 22:50:30 CEST 2014

Donald Stufft wrote:
> One thing about *nix is even though you can’t write to your normal Python
> install location without root, invoking pip with permissions (assuming you have
> them) is as easy as prefacing it with ``sudo`` in most cases. Does Windows have
> an equivalent or do you need to launch a whole new shell?

Unfortunately not. The "easy way" is for the executable to declare that it needs administrative privileges, and then the OS will take over and let you approve/reject/sign-in/etc. according to your settings.

I don't believe this is the right solution anyway, as very many Windows users won't be able to do this (particularly in IT managed environments). Having 'pip install' do a per-user install automatically is something that will actually work, at the cost/benefit of not affecting other users.

Cheers,
Steve