[Python-Dev] Multilingual programming article on the Red Hat Developer blog

Jeff Allen farowl at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Sep 11 09:25:30 CEST 2014

A welcome article. One correction should be made, I believe: the area of
code point space used for the smuggling of bytes under PEP-383 is not a
"Unicode Private Use Area", but a portion of the trailing surrogate
range. This is a code violation, which I imagine is why
"surrogateescape" is an error handler, not a codec.

http://www.unicode.org/faq/private_use.html

I believe the private use area was considered and rejected for PEP-383.
In an implementation of the type unicode based on UTF-16 (Jython), lone
surrogates preclude a naive use of the platform string library. This is
on my mind at the moment as I'm working several bugs in Jython's unicode
type, and can see why it has been too difficult.

Jeff