[Python-Dev] PEP 476: Enabling certificate validation by default!

Gregory P. Smith greg at krypto.org
Mon Sep 8 23:35:19 CEST 2014

On Wed, Sep 3, 2014 at 3:48 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull <stephen at xemacs.org>
wrote:

> Guido van Rossum writes:
>
>  > lot: five years ago (when I worked at Google!) it was common to find
>  > internal services that required SSL but had a misconfigured certificate,
>  > and the only way to access those services was to override the browser
>  > complaints. Today (working at Dropbox, a much smaller company!) I don't
>  > even remember the last time I had to deal with such a browser complaint
> --
>
> I would tend to discount your recent experience, then.  Smaller (and
> possibly even more important in this fast-developing area, younger)
> organizations are a lot more nimble about things like this.

As a defensive data point: I don't remember a single instance of this
happening for Google internal services, at least since I arrived in 2007.
I'm not doubting that Guido remembers some thing(s) but in general people
here at Google would not stand for that, then or now. I would not call it
common, especially five years ago.

Common things I _have_ encountered over the years everywhere I've been both
internal and external: services that listen on the https port 443 but don't
have a valid cert as they are intended only for http port 80 access. Those
are becoming somewhat less common, the only thing I regularly see that on
anymore is random home router web config UIs as issuing a signed server
certificate for security hole ridden commodity embedded box is... a
challenge.

(I'm not commenting on the PEP plans as it seems the right things are
happening for now)

-gps @ Google