[Python-Dev] Sad status of Python 3.x buildbots

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 03:09:54 CEST 2014

On Thu, Sep 4, 2014 at 3:32 AM, francis <francismb at email.de> wrote:
>> does mean a measure of trust in some external entity, or else some
>> very careful rules (mainly firewall), which not every coder will know
>> about.
>

> Just curious, is there a way to mount the infrastructure the oder way
> around? One sets a system polling for sources changes, if so it starts
> a build an sends per e-mail the results to some address.

I'm more talking about how there's a (virtual) machine that I run,
executing code sent to me by someone else (the Python devs). That
machine needs a certain measure of access to the internet (to fetch
code, and to run certain tests), and the easy and naive way to set it
up is to give it full access to everything, which is the trust that I
spoke of. Firewalling that box so it can't see anything it's not
allowed to see is certainly possible, but that requires sysadmin
skills, not coder skills, hence my comment. And it's very easy to make
a mistake that you won't notice - everything works just fine, because
normally that buildbot won't do anything it shouldn't.

ChrisA