[Python-Dev] PEP 477: selected ensurepip backports for Python 2.7

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu Sep 4 02:03:09 CEST 2014

On 1 September 2014 08:00, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> Earlier versions of PEP 453 proposed bootstrapping pip into a Python 2.7
> maintenance release in addition to including it with Python 3.4.
>
> That part of the proposal proved to be controversial, so we dropped it from
> the original PEP in order to focus on meeting the Python 3.4 specific
> release deadlines. This also had the benefit of working out the kinks in the
> bootstrapping processing as part of the Python 3.4 release cycle.
>
> However, we still think we should start providing pip by default to Python
> 2.7 users as well, at least as part of the Windows and Mac OS X installers.

I suggested off-list that, as Python 2.7 release manager, Benjamin
would be a good candidate for BDFL-Delegate for this proposal, and
both Guido and Benjamin agreed. The PEP has been updated accordingly:
http://hg.python.org/peps/rev/909954e4ba43 (I also fixed a
copy-and-paste error in the PEP status!)

Cheers,
Nick.