[Python-Dev] PEP 476: Enabling certificate validation by default!

Christian Heimes christian at python.org
Wed Sep 3 21:50:27 CEST 2014

On 03.09.2014 21:37, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> OK, that changes my position for 2.7 (but not for 3.5). I had
> assumed there was a way to disable the cert check by changing one
> parameter to the urlopen() call. (And I had wanted to add that
> there should be a clear FAQ about the subject.) If this isn't
> possible that changes the situation. (But I still think that once
> we do have that simple change option we should do it, in a later
> 2.7 upgrade.)
>
> I apologize for speaking before I had read all facts, and I'll
> await what you and Nick come up with.

You are welcome! :)

I like to see cert checks in Python 2.7, too. Eventually Python 2.7
should have them enabled by default or at least have one very simple
way to enable them globally. Right now we aren't there yet. Perhaps
Python 2.7.10 or 2.7.11 will have the necessary bits and backports.

Christian