[Python-Dev] results of id() and weakref.getweakrefs() sometimes break on object resurrection

Stefan Richthofer Stefan.Richthofer at gmx.de
Tue Oct 28 01:32:53 CET 2014

>I think 'resuscitation' might be a better metaphor.

The term 'resurrection' is not my invention, but well established:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Object_resurrection

I well understand why Antoine objects to calling it "resurrection" in CPython due to
implementation specific reasons. But in the above article (which I consider rather
detailed) I can't find anything stating that an object's ref-count must drop to zero
at any time in order to call it "resurrected". In contrast, it clarifies that objects
can not only resurrect themselves:
"...which may in turn make that object or another garbage object (reachable from the
object with a finalizer) reachable again"
"If this happens, the referenced object – which is not necessarily the finalized
object – is no longer garbage, and cannot be deallocated"

> "x2" does *not* have its refcount drop to zero, since it is still
> referenced by x. In other words, "x2" can only be on a "kill list"
> after "x" has been finalized, which can only be *after* __del__ was
> executed.

x resurrects x2 in the sense that it must "actively" have an action
in its finalizer that establishes a new reference to x2 in non-garbage or
environment memory. Otherwise x as the "final life support link" of x2
would cause x2's ref count *actually* drop to zero in the next step.

I never wanted this to become a discussion about the definition of object
resurrection. I just wanted to understand which details in different
behavior (such as weakref breaking) are okay and which are bugs (as
breaking consistency of id() in Jython).

Regards

-Stefan