[Python-Dev] results of id() and weakref.getweakrefs() sometimes break on object resurrection

Stefan Richthofer stefan.richthofer at gmx.de
Mon Oct 27 14:36:31 CET 2014

Your test program performs no resurrection of x.

Interestingly, it does not change behavior if you write

class X(object):
     def __del__(self):
         X.x = self
         print ref()

(Thanks for making me aware of this! My test-case was already
initially the more complex one given below)

But if the resurrection occurs indirectly, the weakref persists:
(I refined it to old-style class, because Jython will support new-style
class finalizers only from 2.7. beta 4 onwards, i.e. the test would be
pointless with any current release)

import weakref, time, gc
class ReferentDummy():
     pass

class X():
     def __del__(self):
         X.y = self.z
         print "__del__: "+str(ref())

x = X()
x2 = ReferentDummy()
ref = weakref.ref(x2)
x.z = x2
del x2
del x #Everything is now deleted, isn't it?
gc.collect() #needed in Jython-case
time.sleep(0.2) #wait for Java's async gc to finnish
print ref()
print weakref.getweakrefs(X.y)

---------------CPython output:
__del__: <__main__.ReferentDummy instance at 0x7fd2603e1950>
<__main__.ReferentDummy instance at 0x7fd2603e1950>
[<weakref at 0x7fd2603d2c00; to 'instance' at 0x7fd2603e1950>]

---------------Jython 2.7 beta 3 output:
__del__: None
None
[]

One can surely argue x2 has never been dead, or see it as "it was killed
along with x and
then resurrected by x". Jython clearly takes the second point of view
and also clears weakrefs
to x.z, while CPython does not. Yes, these details probably hardly
matter in practice (however
could cause subtle bugs when porting complex stuff from CPython to
Jython), but since I try to
bridge it, I have to look into this more carefully.

Best,

Stefan