[Python-Dev] Status of C compilers for Python on Windows

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Oct 27 13:12:16 CET 2014

On 27 October 2014 09:44, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:
> I view it as critical (because availability of binaries is *already*
> enough of a problem in the Windows world, without making it worse)
> that we avoid this sort of fragmentation. I'm not seeing an
> acknowledgement from the mingw side that they agree. That's my
> concern. If we both agree, there's nothing to argue about.

I think there's consensus on this front. From Ray: "MinGW-w64 assumes
the very old msvcrt.dll files from
Windows XP SP3 and XP64 specifically to avoid this mess."

That assumption will allow MinGW-w64 to link with the appropriate
MSVCRT versions for extention building without anything breaking.

Cheers,
Nick.