[Python-Dev] XP buildbot problem cloning from hg.python.org

M.-A. Lemburg mal at egenix.com
Sun Oct 26 13:50:20 CET 2014

On 26.10.2014 00:14, Ned Deily wrote:
> In article <m28uk4wxod.fsf at valheru.db3l.homeip.net>,
>  David Bolen <db3l.net at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> David Bolen <db3l.net at gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> which appears to die mid-stream while receiving the manifests.
>>>
>>> So I'm sort of hoping there might be some record server-side as to why
>>> things are falling apart mid-way.
>>
>> Just to follow-up to myself, I get the same same error trying to do a
>> clone from my own personal XP machine rather than the buildbot (which
>> is a VM).  I've had the issue with hg 1.6.2, 2.5.2 and 3.1.2.
>>
>> However, the same clones completely successfully under OSX and Linux.
>>
>> So that's sort of strange.
>
> Very interesting!  I had been doing some housekeeping on some of my
> older OS X build systems over the past few days and I've run into the
> same problem.  In particular, I am seeing this failure on an OS X 10.5.8
> system (running in a Fusion VM) which I've used for years and from which
> I have regularly cloned repos from hg.python.org.  I spent some time
> yesterday trying to isolate it.  I came to the conclusion that it was
> independent of the version of OpenSSL (identical failures occurred with
> the system's ancient Apple 0.9.7 as well as a newly-build 1.0.1j) and
> independent of the version of hg (at least with two data points, current
> and a year-old version) and seemingly independent of the network
> connection.  I was not able to reproduce the failure on the host OS X
> system (10.10) and I didn't have problems a few days earlier with
> various other OS X releases (10.6.x through 10.9.x) also running in VMs
> on the same host.  I stumbled across a workaround for the problem as I
> was experiencing it:  adding --uncompressed to hg clone eliminated
> failures.  You can get more info on the hg failures by adding
> --traceback and --debugger to the clone command.  After spending way too
> much time on the issue, I was not in the mood to spend more time
> isolating the problem after finding a workaround but if others are also
> seeing it, it might be worth doing.  Sigh.
>
>       $ hg --version
>       Mercurial Distributed SCM (version 3.1.2)
>       $ hg clone -U http://hg.python.org/cpython cpython
>       real URL is https://hg.python.org/cpython
>       requesting all changes
>       adding changesets
>       adding manifests
>       transaction abort!
>       rollback completed
>       abort: connection ended unexpectedly
>       $ hg clone --uncompressed -U https://hg.python.org/cpython cpython
>       streaming all changes
>       10404 files to transfer, 248 MB of data
>       transferred 248 MB in 44.4 seconds (5.58 MB/sec)

If compression is causing the problem, perhaps there's an incompatibility
with the use zlib version between the host and your client system.

hg.python.org was recently updated to a new Ubuntu version.

--
Marc-Andre Lemburg
eGenix.com

Professional Python Services directly from the Source  (#1, Oct 26 2014)
2014-10-24: Released eGenix pyOpenSSL 0.13.5 ...  http://egenix.com/go63

               http://www.egenix.com/company/contact/