[Python-Dev] Status of C compilers for Python on Windows

Chris Angelico rosuav at gmail.com
Sun Oct 26 00:06:36 CEST 2014

On Sun, Oct 26, 2014 at 8:59 AM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
> How do you know this isn't a problem, since you haven't *tested* with
> MSVC?
> Why on Earth would you want to test your PEP work with an unsupported
> Windows compiler and runtime, rather than with the officially supported
> compiler and runtime?

This discussion revolved around supporting MinGW in addition to MSVC.
If it had been supported when I was doing that, I could have spun
myself up a Windows build and tested it. Since it was (and so far
still is) not, the hassle of hunting down a valid MSVC that could
build for Win XP (as that's what my test box runs) was simply not
worthwhile. My point is that there is no community fragmentation
happening here; the only fragmentation is of binary distribution of
extension modules, and there are several ways in which this needn't be
a problem.

ChrisA