[Python-Dev] https://docs.python.org/3/using/index.html not linking correctly

Terry Reedy tjreedy at udel.edu
Tue Oct 21 02:39:31 CEST 2014

On 10/20/2014 7:29 PM, MRAB wrote:
> On 2014-10-21 00:09, Eli Bendersky wrote:
>>

>> On Mon, Oct 20, 2014 at 1:01 PM, Terry Reedy <tjreedy at udel.edu
>> <mailto:tjreedy at udel.edu>> wrote:
>>
>>     If I go to https://docs.python.org/3/using/index.html and click on
>>     any of the TOC entries, I get 'connecting' indefinitely.  This
>>     problem seems unique to this file. I tried several other index files
>>     and clicking am entry brings up the corresponding page almost
>>     immediately.
>>

>> Works fine for me, Terry, in both Chrome and Firefox. Could be something
>> in your browser/caching? Try "private mode" or whatever that's called in
>> your browser of choice.
>>
> Just tried the first link:
>
> https://docs.python.org/3/using/cmdline.html
>
> I also get 'Connecting' indefinitely.
>
> So I tested the link here:
>
> http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/
>
> It said: "It's not just you! http://https looks down from here."

I am using Firefox, but the difference is that by happenstance, I was in
privacy mode (perhaps for the first time with python.org -- I want the
docs in the cache and history list -- because I accessed the docs to
answer a StackOverflow question.) It is not just that document but also
Execution model and Expression in Reference.  (I tried each 3 times
minutes apart.)  I have not had a similiar problem with any Arstechnica
or StackOverflow pages, or similar sites.

So the solution for me is to use normal mode, but something seems not
quite right in the interaction between privacy mode Firefox and python.org.

No problem I could find with Internet Explorer's 'In Privacy' mode.

--
Terry Jan Reedy