[Python-Dev] Status of C compilers for Python on Windows

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 11:29:03 CEST 2014

> If you build Python yourself, you can (more or less) use whichever version
> of Visual Studio you want. There is nothing that prevents you from building
> Python 2.7 or 3.4 with MSVC 14.

Python 2.7 provides project files (PCbuild/*) for Visual Studio 2008.
Python 3.4 provides project files (PCbuild/*) for Visual Studio 2010.

Does it mean that VC 2010 supports VC 2008 project files? If I
remember correctly, I got a wizzard proposing to convert the project
files. I didn't try it, and I installed VS 2008 instead.

I guess that VS 2014 requires a similar conversion wizzard for VS 2010
and VS 2008 project files.

Victor