[Python-Dev] mUTF-7 support?

Victor Stinner victor.stinner at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 01:08:29 CEST 2014

Hi,

You can develop a codec and plug it into Python 3.4 right now using
codecs.register().

It's difficult to decide if a codec is important enough to be added to Python.

When you say "IMAP4", do you mean any IMAP4 server? Do you have a list
of server vendors known to use the encoding mUTF-7? Is it possible to
ask the server to speak a specific codec like UTF-8? I don't know the
protocol. Interesting article:
http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.mail.imap.general/3416

Python supports UTF-7, but this codec doesn't look to be used. Bugs
were fixed in this codec "recently".

Anyway, open an issue ;-)

How is mUTF-7 different than UTF-7? (Why yet another encoding while
standard UTF encodings exist???)

Requests of new encodings:

"missing vietnamese codec TCVN 5712:1993 in Python" (open)
http://bugs.python.org/issue21081

"add thai encoding aliases to encodings.aliases" (open)
http://bugs.python.org/issue17254

"Add "java modified utf-8" codec" (closed as wont fix 2 years ago)
http://bugs.python.org/issue2857

"Add support for CESU-8 encoding" (rejected 3 years ago)
http://bugs.python.org/issue12742

"Adding new CNS11643, a *huge* charset,    support in cjkcodecs"
(closed as wont fix 4 years ago)
http://bugs.python.org/issue2066

"Add KOI8-RU as a known encoding" (rejected 5 years ago)
http://bugs.python.org/issue5214
("This charset wasn't supported by Ukrainian Internet community due to
political reasons; KOI8-U was invented as opposition to KOI8-RU.")

Recently added codec:

"Add support of the cp1125 encoding" (1 year ago)
http://bugs.python.org/issue19668

"Add cp65001 codec" (3 years ago)
http://bugs.python.org/issue13216

Victor