[Python-Dev] shebang policy, and pip

Barry Warsaw barry at python.org
Thu Oct 9 00:00:20 CEST 2014

On Oct 08, 2014, at 08:20 AM, Donald Stufft wrote:

>Some editors can use shebang lines to control syntax highlighting or linting
>(mine for example will lint different for python2 vs python3 shebangs).

Some editors can also use `# -*- foo -*-` comments to set up editing modes and
there are other ways to specify which version linters to use.

I generally avoid shebangs where they aren't needed, and between entry points
and -m they rarely are these days.  I find most uses are in smaller one-off
scripts and such.

Cheers,
-Barry