[Python-Dev] shebang policy, and pip

Christian Tismer tismer at stackless.com
Wed Oct 8 12:16:42 CEST 2014

Howdy,

this question is a bit about general policy which is not yet
covered in the python recommendations:

I see projects which do check-ins like "get rid of shebang lines"
and they remove those lines from non-script sources.

It is not always clear to me what to do, so I tend to leave those
lines in per default, in order not to waste time thinking about it,
but well, today I was confronted with that.

Digging a bit deeper shows the following:

python docs:
No mention of shebang, but for Windows.
https://docs.python.org/3/search.html?q=shebang&check_keywords=yes&area=default
https://docs.python.org/3/using/windows.html?highlight=shebang

Google's python style guide also says when a shebang is needed, but
does not forbid it.

Pep 394 explains how to use shebang, but still nothing about not using it.
http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0394/

So is there anything officially preferred, and should that go into pep 8?

Special case with pip
- ------------------

I was looking through my installed packages and wondered quite
much about pip:

Pip has a shebang in the __init__ file, but no shebang in the
__main__ file.

I guess this is wrong and should be in the executable file,
which is __main__ .

cheers - Chris

- --
Christian Tismer             :^)   tismer at stackless.com
Software Consulting          :     http://www.stackless.com/
Karl-Liebknecht-Str. 121     :     http://www.pydica.net/
14482 Potsdam                :     GPG key -> 0xFB7BEE0E
phone +49 173 24 18 776  fax +49 (30) 700143-0023