[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Sun Nov 30 22:12:51 CET 2014

> On Nov 30, 2014, at 4:05 PM, Antoine Pitrou <solipsis at pitrou.net> wrote:
>
> On Sun, 30 Nov 2014 10:05:01 -0800
> Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> I bring this up to emphasize that (unlike GNU software and the FSF) Python
>> has no additional hidden agenda of bringing freedom to all software.
>
> As far as GNU and the FSF are concerned, I don't think the agenda is
> "hidden" at all ;-)
>
>> Now some entirely practical points.
>>
>> - I am basically the only remaining active PEP editor, so I see most PEP
>> contributions by non-core-committers. Almost all of these uses github. Not
>> bitbucket, not some other git host, but github. I spend a fair amount of
>> time applying patches. It would most definitely be easier if I could get
>> them to send me pull requests.
>
> Are you sure that those contributors wouldn't want to use Bitbucket -
> or another hg-based hosting service?
>
> A PEP contributor is someone who is likely to contribute CPython code as
> well - so they would have to know hg.

Speaking as someone who has written a number of PEPS, plans to write a number
more, and also has commit bit on hg.python.org and is maintaining code in CPython.
I would greatly prefer using Github for PEPs than I would any hg hosting service
I’ve seen to date. I can’t obviously speak for every single committer, however
Guido also stated that through his work in committing patches of incoming PEPs
he’s seen that a lot of the PEPs are being written on Github using git. I think
it’s fair to say that those people would prefer PRs on Github over using Bitbucket
as well since they were choosing Github over Bitbucket when there was no incentive
to do so.

---
Donald Stufft