[Python-Dev] PEP 481 - Migrate Some Supporting Repositories to Git and Github

Ben Finney ben+python at benfinney.id.au
Sun Nov 30 06:06:47 CET 2014

Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> writes:

> 1. I strongly believe that the long term sustainability of the overall
> open source community requires the availability and use of open source
> infrastructure.

I concur. This article <URL:http://mako.cc/writing/hill-free_tools.html>
makes the arguments well, IMO.

> 2. I also feel that this proposal is far too cavalier in not even
> discussing the possibility of helping out the Mercurial team […] we'd
> prefer to switch to something else entirely rather than organising a
> sprint with them at PyCon to help ensure that our existing Mercurial
> based infrastructure is approachable for git & GitHub users?

Exactly. For such a core tool, instead of pushing proprietary platforms
at the expense of software freedom, the sensible strategy for a project
(Python) that hopes to be around in the long term is to use and improve
the free software platforms.

> As a result, I'm -0 on the PEP, rather than -1 (and will try to stay
> out of further discussions).

I don't get a vote. So I'm glad there are some within the Python core
development team that can see the mistakes inherent in depending on
non-free tools for developing free software.

--
 \     “The cost of a thing is the amount of what I call life which is |
  `\       required to be exchanged for it, immediately or in the long |