[Python-Dev] Move selected documentation repos to PSF BitBucket account?

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Nov 24 21:42:01 CET 2014

On 24/11/2014 02:59, Barry Warsaw wrote:
> On Nov 23, 2014, at 08:55 AM, Guido van Rossum wrote:
>
>> - Moving from Hg to Git is a fair amount of one-time work
>
> For anyone seriously interested in this, even experimentally, I would highly
> suggest looking at Eric Raymond's reposurgeon code.  You can google it or find
> it covered in the vast discussions of his conversion of the Emacs repository
> from bazaar to git.  I don't know for a fact that it would handle an hg to git
> conversion, but it's the most likely candidate for something so complex.
> There's a lot of similarity in the history of the Emacs and Python
> repositories, having gone through many previous iterations of vcs's - in
> Python's case, at least cvs, svn, and hg.

For what it's worth, Mike Bayer successfully migrated SQLAlchemy from
svn to hg and then to git. He now has an amazing system set up whereby
commits can be made by contributors through either GitHub or BitBucket,
I thought he still had Trac rigged up on sqlalchemy.org, but looks like
the issue tracker has migrated to bitbucket...

I believe his reasons for moving are similar to those I've read in
Guido's posts.

I believe he also has notes on what he did and how things are set up...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk