[Python-Dev] Move selected documentation repos to PSF BitBucket account?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 20:55:54 CET 2014

On 25 Nov 2014 02:28, "Brett Cannon" <brett at python.org> wrote:

> On Mon Nov 24 2014 at 2:25:30 AM Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On 24 November 2014 at 02:55, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>> >
>> > I guess my question is who and what is going to be disrupted if we go
with
>> > Guido's suggestion of switching to GitHub for code hosting?
Contributors
>> > won't be disrupted at all since most people are more familiar with
GitHub
>> > vs. Bitbucket (how many times have we all heard the fact someone has
even
>> > learned Mercurial just to contribute to Python?). Core developers
might be
>> > based on some learned workflow, but I'm willing to bet we all know git
at
>> > this point (and for those of us who still don't like it, myself
included,
>> > there are GUI apps to paper over it or hg-git for those that prefer a
CLI).
>> > Our infrastructure will need to be updated, but how much of it is that
>> > hg-specific short of the command to checkout out the repo? Obviously
>> > Bitbucket is much more minor by simply updating just a URL, but
changing `hg
>> > clone` to `git clone` isn't crazy either. Georg, Antoine, or Benjamin
can
>> > point out if I'm wrong on this, maybe Donald or someone in the
>> > infrastructure committee.
>>
>> Are you volunteering to write a competing PEP for a migration to git and
GitHub?

> Been there, done that, got the PEP number. I'm just trying to speak from
the perspective of the person who drove us off of svn and on to hg (as well
as drove us off of SourceForge to our own workflow stack). I personally
just want a better workflow. As I said at the beginning, I read your PEPs
and talked to you about them at PyCon and I want something like that to
happen; push button patch acceptance along with CI of patches would go a
long way to making accepting patches easier. But as others have pointed
out, we just don't have the volunteer time to make them happen ATM, so I'm
willing to entertain moving to GitHub or Bitbucket or whatever to improve
our situation.

It may not have been Guido's intention, but his proposal to undercut the
entire Python based version control tooling ecosystem by deeming it
entirely unfit for our purposes has caused me to dramatically re-evaluate
my own priorities.

I consider the status quo to be only mildly annoying, which is why I'd been
willing to defer proposing improvements. If folks are seriously
contemplating proposing a move to GitHub instead, then that changes the
equation significantly.

Regards,
Nick.