[Python-Dev] Move selected documentation repos to PSF BitBucket account?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Mon Nov 24 10:12:31 CET 2014

On 24 Nov 2014 10:41, "Donald Stufft" <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

> > On Nov 23, 2014, at 6:57 PM, Steven D'Aprano <steve at pearwood.info>
wrote:

> > On Sun, Nov 23, 2014 at 08:55:50AM -0800, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> >
> >> But I strongly believe that if we want to do the right thing for the
> >> long term, we should switch to GitHub.
> >
> > Encouraging a software, or social, monopoly is never the right thing for
> > the long term.
> >
> > http://nedbatchelder.com/blog/201405/github_monoculture.html
>
> I don’t think this is really all that big of a deal. If we want to move
> off of Github doing so is easy.

It's only easy to leave if you never adopt any GitHub-only services like
Travis CI. It's the same lockin play as the one Google uses: make it easy
for people to move their data, so they're less likely to notice you're
locking them in with proprietary APIs and ecosystems instead.

You unlikely to see significant amounts of VC funding pouring into a
company unless the investors see a possible chance to extract monopoly
rents at some point in the future.

Cheers,
Nick.