[Python-Dev] Move selected documentation repos to PSF BitBucket account?

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 21 14:57:07 CET 2014

On 21 November 2014 23:29, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
> On Fri Nov 21 2014 at 7:37:13 AM Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
>> If that "must be self-hosted" constraint is removed, then the obvious
>> candidate for Mercurial hosting that supports online editing + pull
>> requests is the PSF's BitBucket account.
>
> There's also CodePlex and (ironically) SourceForge for open-source hg
> hosting.

Did SF end up actually integrating Hg hosting properly? They hadn't
the last time I looked - it was still a third party addon to Allura.

I'll spell this out in the PEP, but the reason I suggest BitBucket in
particular is:

- it's written in Python
- the PSF already has an organisational account set up there
- I have admin access, so I can bootstrap other folks as
administrators (Christian Heimes & Brian Curtin are also admins)
- I know the online editing works reliably, since I maintain the PyPI
metadata PEP drafts there
- having used both it and GitHub extensively, I'm confident the
workflows are similar enough that anyone familiar with GitHub will be
able to easily pick up the BitBucket UI

As far as ignoring PR noise goes, we can still request that folks
squash any commits (keep in mind that the proposal is only to move
pure documentation repos, so long complex PR chains seem unlikely).

Cheers,
Nick.