[Python-Dev] OneGet provider for Python

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 15 16:41:40 CET 2014

On 15 November 2014 20:10, Paul Moore <p.f.moore at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 15 November 2014 00:12, Vincent Povirk <madewokherd at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My end goal is to be able to package a Python application such that an
> > end-user on Windows (who doesn't know anything about Python) can
> > easily install it, without either of us having to think about how all
> > the dependencies are going to get there.
>
> That sounds awesome.
>
> > If anyone has questions or concerns about this, please let me know.
> > Keep in mind that I am not subscribed to the mailing list and will
> > have to be CC'd.
>
> You should probably discuss this on distutils-sig, as that is the main
> list for anything to do with packaging on Python. As Terry pointed
> out, you can monitor the lists without subscribing, but it would
> probably be better to subscribe, as people can tend to forget to cc
> the original author if a thread gets long.

It's an interesting cross-over - the pip/pypi integration is definitely
distutils-sig's domain, managing the CPython MSI packages is more
python-dev.

However, distutils-sig has a naturally higher proportion of folks
interested in the general problem of software distribution (whether with
Python specific tools or platform native ones). It's also the home of
packaging.python.org maintenance, and as the Python ecosystem provider for
OneGet becomes usable, it should likely be covered somewhere in there
(perhaps in
https://packaging.python.org/en/latest/deployment.html#os-packaging-installers
although that section is currently still just a stub)

Cheers,
Nick.