[Python-Dev] 2.7.9 schedule redux

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Sat Nov 1 13:05:14 CET 2014

On 1 November 2014 09:59, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:

>> On Oct 31, 2014, at 7:54 PM, Benjamin Peterson <benjamin at python.org> wrote:
>>
>> I'm updating the 2.7 release PEP with the following release dates
>>
>> 2.7.9rc1 Nov 22
>> 2.7.9 final December 5
>>
>> I expect PEPs 476 and 477 can be done by then?
>>
>> Given that 2.7.9 has had some large changes, having multiple rcs is not
>> unlikely. Hopefully, we can get a final out by 2015, though.
>
> Yes on PEP 477, the actual back porting is done, I’m just slacking on doing
> the tests because we used unittest.mock in 3.4.

mock is only a single file, so making it available to the Python 2.7
regression test suite as something like test._mock_backport sounds
tolerable to me.

Another challenge is that the functional tests (i.e. the ones that
actually run pip from the bundled wheel file, rather than mocking it
out) are in test_venv, since they rely on venv to provide a degree of
isolation from the Python instance running the test suite.

However, given that pip's own tests cover compatibility with the 2.x
series, the Python 3 test suite covers the functional integration with
ensurepip, and the mock-based tests for ensurepip cover the 2.7
backport itself, I think we still have an acceptable level of
regression testing coverage, even without being able to backport the
venv based functional tests.

Regards,
Nick.