[Python-Dev] Tix version needed to build 2.7 Windows installer?

Steve Dower Steve.Dower at microsoft.com
Sat May 10 20:35:17 CEST 2014

Brian Curtin wrote:
> On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 12:00 PM, Zachary Ware
> <zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 4:20 PM, Zachary Ware
>> <zachary.ware+pydev at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I updated the 2.7 buildbot scripts to pull in Tcl/Tk 8.5.15 a couple
>>> of weeks ago (see http://bugs.python.org/issue21303), but hadn't
>>> gotten anything done with Tix yet.  It should just need python.mak
>>> updated to point to Tcl/Tk 8.5.15; it's on my list to get fixed as
>>> soon as I can.
>>
>> Tix for 2.7 is now
>> http://svn.python.org/projects/external/tix-8.4.3.5.  You can build it
>> with this monster of a command, run from tix-8.4.3.5\win:
>>
>> nmake -f python.mak DEBUG=0 MACHINE=IX86 COMPILERFLAGS=-DWINVER=0x0500
>> TCL_DIR=..\..\tcl-8.5.15.0 TK_DIR=..\..\tk-8.5.15.0
>> INSTALL_DIR=..\..\tcltk all
>>
>> Use "install" instead of "all" after building to install it to
>> ..\..\tcltk.  Set DEBUG and MACHINE as needed; DEBUG does not need to
>> be set if you're building Release, but MACHINE always has to be set so
>> that Tix uses the right build dir for Tk (IX86 for 32-bit, AMD64 for
>> 64-bit).
>
> Awesome, thanks!
>
> So I now have a fully working setup, at least for 32-bit, and have
> backported the Path option from 3.3
> (http://hg.python.org/cpython/rev/a9d34685ec47). I ran into an issue
> with win32com getting a 64-bit installer built but didn't have time to
> look into it yet.

If the error is displayed immediately after the msm filename, it probably means you don't have that file. I had to pull the right ones out of our VS build directory, since I couldn't find a public version for SP1 (and apparently the QFE that updates the 32-bit MSM doesn't update the 64-bit one... guess I'll have to go look for that build now).

> If anyone wants to try a 2.7 installer with that Path option, here's a
> copy: http://briancurtin.com/python-dev/python-2.7.msi (this is not
> signed, it'll warn you about that).

Looks good to me, and both of my builds worked fine.

Cheers,
Steve