[Python-Dev] pip: cdecimal an externally hosted file and may be unreliable [sic]

R. David Murray rdmurray at bitdance.com
Thu May 8 18:42:16 CEST 2014

On Thu, 08 May 2014 11:32:28 -0400, Donald Stufft <donald at stufft.io> wrote:
> On May 8, 2014, at 11:21 AM, R. David Murray <rdmurray at bitdance.com> wrote:
> > Ah, I understand now.
> >
> > Your perspective is as someone who is using pip for *deployment*.
>
> Deployment, or any kind of situation where you want to have a reproducible
> build. Generally via deployment yes.
[...]
> For Python with pip you can use a requirements.txt file to create a set of
> dependencies that are pinned to exact versions like:
>
> foo==2.0
> bar==2.3
>
> And pip will (theoretically, our dep solving is real bad ATM) install exactly
> those versions from your index server. Generally this means PyPI which

OK, this makes sense, then.  (I wish perl/cpan had something
similar...maybe it does, but I couldn't find it at the time.)

This still leaves the fact that there is a disconnect between the
"needs" of two different audiences for PIP: people who deploy things,
and everyone else who just uses pip to install stuff.

The second group is going to overwhelm the first group, if it doesn't
already.

And I think that's all the comments I have on this issue :)

--David