[Python-Dev] pip: cdecimal an externally hosted file and may be unreliable [sic]

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Thu May 8 15:57:26 CEST 2014

On 8 May 2014 23:39, M.-A. Lemburg <mal at egenix.com> wrote:
> However, for some reason there's a strong resistance against
> doing this, which I frankly don't understand.

Because we're taking responsibility for the end-to-end user experience
of PyPI, and are expressly trying to eliminate the elements of that
user experience that are beyond the control of the PyPI admin team
(even the question of "does this software actually work?" is in our
sights if you consider a long enough time span). That's hard enough
with just a couple of service providers (Fastly and Rackspace) in the
mix - it quickly becomes impossible if every new dependency from an
installation request adds a new point of failure.

Regards,
Nick.