[Python-Dev] PEP 461: Adding % formatting to bytes and bytearray -- Final, Take 3

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sat Mar 29 19:59:07 CET 2014

On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 11:53:45 -0700
"Gregory P. Smith" <greg at krypto.org> wrote:

> I understand that sentiment but that is an unjustified fear. It is not a
> good reason not to do it. Projects are already trying to port stuff today
> and running into roadblocks when it comes to ascii-compatible bytes
> formatting for real world data formats in code needing to be 2.x
> compatible. I'm pulling out my practicality beats purity card here.

"Roadblocks" is an unjustified term here. Important code bases such as
Tornado have already achieved this a long time ago. While lack of bytes
formatting does make porting harder, it is not a "roadblock" as in
you can't work it around.

> Mercurial is one of the large Python 2.4-2.7 code bases that needs this
> feature in order to support Python 3 in a sane manner. (+Augie Fackler to
> look at the latest http://legacy.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0461/ to confirm
> usefulness)

http://www.selenic.com/pipermail/mercurial-devel/2014-March/057474.html

Regards